All you need is a spoon to dig into this delicious dinner. There’s no other dishes needed.
I love this for so many reasons. The whole thing isn’t just satisfying, but slightly sweet, savory, and healthy. You’d never think so while eating this that it would be healthy. The cheese adds that extra layer of fatty flavor while the creaminess of the squash tricks your mind into thinking your eating something rich and obviously fattening.
This dish is appropriately seasonal too. Yay! That’s the best way to eat, at least I think so.
Both of these vegetables are harvested in the colder months of the year. Which means they’ll both be easily accessible, hopefully reasonably priced, and taste at their best.
I mean seriously, isn’t this beautiful? It looks like it would be complicated to make, but I can assure you it’s so simple. The hardest part will be cutting the squash in half. After that the rest of the recipe will be a piece of cake.
Acorn Squash with broccoli rabe and chicken sausage
Each squash serves two people. This recipe can be doubled or tripled depending on the number of servings
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 lb of chicken Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of broccoli rabe
- 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2 Wash squash and scoop out and discard that seeds.
- Step 3 Lightly oil a sheet pan and place the squash split side down. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, sautee the sausage, onion, and garlic till fully cooked. Add the red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat and stir in the broccoli rabe. Let it stay in the hot pan and cook with the residual heat till wilted.
- Step 5 Take the squash out of the oven and stuff with the sausage and broccoli rabe filling.
- Step 6 Top with 1/4 cup of cheese and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly.