Baked penne pasta with Italian sausage in a red wine tomato sauce is such an easy recipe. Even though it’s easy and quick to throw together, it tastes like it took hours to make.
It has all the good things that I love in it.
Okay, it has wine.
Wine is what I love.
Alas, I can’t just eat wine. That would be ridiculous, and yet awesome at the same time.
Our star ingredient, wine is mixed with tomato sauce, onions, garlic, rosemary, basil, and sausage before being tossed with the penne and baked.
The red sauce I used was the marinara sauce I made here, but any tomato sauce would work great.
Baked penne pasta with Italian sausage
- 1 lb Italian Sweet Sausage
- 1 lb of dried penne pasta (12 oz box)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of red wine ( I used cabernet sovereign)
- 3 cups of tomato sauce
- Garnish - Mozzarella Cheese
- Black pepper to taste
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta for about 10 minutes or tender. Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Step 3 Peel casing off of sausage.
- Step 4 In a large skillet or pan on medium high heat add sausage and cook till browned on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Once cooled slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Step 5 Drain fat out of skillet or pan.
- Step 6 Put 1 teaspoon of oil to skillet and sautee onions, garlic, and green peppers until vegetables start to sweat. Add wine to deglaze the pan.
- Step 7 Add sausage, tomato sauce, rosemary, and basil. Stir and turn heat to medium.
- Step 8 Toss in drained pasta, and 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water and mix well.
- Step 9 Transfer into a oven safe container. Sprinkle with cheese, and cover.
- Step 10 Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly with melted cheese.
- Step 11 Enjoy!