BBQ Chicken Salad Puff with Caramelized Onions!
How could this ever go wrong? You have chicken salad, BBQ sauce, caramelized onions topped with a little piece of pickle and tomato in a crunchy little bite! It’s like the ultimate BBQ sandwich condensed into a snack.
Whenever I use puff pastry I feel very fancy! I love how it puffs up, gets a perfect golden color, and crunchy texture every single time. I guess that’s why I feel fancy! I get credit for how beautiful it is when really it does it all on it’s own. As if that wasn’t enough I decided to top it with some pretty intense flavors. These little things would be perfect for Super Bowl or any party.
While vegging out in front of his computer Emery was watching YouTube videos and he stumbled upon a Chef smoking meats. He must have sat there for at least an hour watching a bunch of his videos. I even watched one, and they were pretty impressive. The next day Emery went out to do our weekly grocery shoppingand guess what he came home with? Ribs and chicken for the smoker!
So the chicken I used for these little puffs of BBQ heaven were smoked, but you could use any that you have, especially left over chicken. This is perfect for a leftover rotisserie!
Another idea that’s much easier and time saving would be to use frozen puff pastry shells, and a small paring knife to cut out the centers after they were baked.
I wish I had thought of that before! Ahhhh… but so much work had already been done and I didn’t want to give up. The end product was worth it. These little tasty bites came out amazing, and I love how fancy they look!
Aren’t leftovers the best?
- 8 oz puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2 Roll out the thawed puff pastry to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Step 3 Using a pastry cutter (1 3/4 inches) cut out 60 rounds.
- Step 4 Will a smaller pastry cutter (1 inch) cut out a circle from the center of half of the pastry rounds. You should have 30 rounds and 30 rings.
- Step 5 Brush the pastry rounds with the egg, and then place the rings ontop. Make sure you add a little pressure to they stick together well.
- Step 6 Place on greased baking sheet, and brush tops with beaten egg.
- Step 7 Bake till fluffy and browned, 10 mins. Cool before filling them.
- Step 8 Enjoy!
BBQ Chicken Salad Puffs with Caramelized Onions
See Puff pastry recipe above to make the puffs! Also you can use pastry shells that are already formed, which would be much easier and less time consuming.
- 1 medium onion, julienne sliced
- 1 tsp butter, unsalted
- 4 oz chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp of kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Garnish: Pickle and tomato slices
- Step 1 Over medium heat melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion and toss with the melted butter.
- Step 2 Cover and continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes or until onions start to brown while stirring occasionally.
- Step 3 Once the onions start to brown remove them from the heat and add the BBQ to them. Set the onions aside.
- Step 4 In a medium sized bowl mix the mayonnaise, dried parsley, and salt. Stir in chicken, and set the bowl aside.
- Step 5 Using the prepared pastry puff add the caramelized onions first, then a teaspoon of chicken salad, sprinkle with black pepper, and top with pickle and tomato slices.
- Step 6 Enjoy!