Toasted chickpeas with all the healthy spices that I love, plant-based protein, and creamy avocado? Yes, please! Plus, it’s healthy? Shut the front door!
I love that how the chickpeas taste once they’re toasty with spices. I was feeling a tad bit exotic so I leaned towards India with my inspiration. I choose aromatic spices such as ginger, garlic, cloves, mustard seed, coriander cumin, turmeric, and caraway seeds. The house smelled delicious!
One of our pantry staples in Quinoa. We have a big jar of it on the shelf, and use it whenever we get the chance. Here lately I’ve been cooking it more frequently and in larger batches. That way I have some in the refrigerator whenever I want some. I love tossing it on salads.
Quinoa is a twofer for me. It’s a seed that’s a complete protein, and it’s super high in fiber. Who can’t use a little more fiber in their diet? I know, I can for sure. I’m also trying to eat healthier and reduce the number of animal products I have, so this is a great alternative.
Plus, I know this is something both Emery and I will love. It’s so quick to throw together, and with the creaminess of the avocado, I feel like I’m eating something that’s more fattening than it actually is.
Chickpea Avocado Quinoa Power Bowl
- Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 14.5 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seed, ground cumin, caraway seed, turmeric, clove, and kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- Black pepper
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 16 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Fresh mint and cilantro
- Step 1 In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Step 2 Add garlic, onions ginger, and spices to pan.
- Step 3 Cook for about 2 minutes, then add chickpeas.
- Step 4 Toss well with spice mixture and continue cooking for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Stir or toss frequently.
- Step 5 Chop cucumber, tomatoes, and avocado. Add ingredients to the bowls as much as you’d like. Top with vinaigrette or greek yogurt.