While in the grocery store the other night I noticed that broccoli was on sale. It wasn’t on my list, but I immediately thought of cream of broccoli soup.
The weather has started getting cooler here in Virginia. What could be a better time? It’s quick, easy, and comforting… not to mention really tasty!
Also, I love how you can control how much of everything you can add to it.
Want more broccoli that has bigger pieces? Go for it!
Feel like cheese? Cheese it up!
Like less salt? Unsalt it!
The sky is the limit on how you make your perfect cup of creamy broccoli soup.
Canned soups have their place in cooking. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes you just need a can of soup for a recipe like a casserole. Some of the best casseroles wouldn’t be the same without them, like the cheeseburger tater tot casserole.
But… when you want soup… this soup blows the canned stuff away!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Can be doubled, tripled, etc.
- 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup of onion, chopped
- 2 Cups of chopped broccoli
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 small bay leaf
- dash of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup milk
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional - Cheddar Cheese
- Step 1 On medium-high heat melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add onions to butter and saute till soft.
- Step 2 Add chicken broth or water, plus seasonings and broccoli.
- Step 3 Cover saucepan and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 4 Remove bay leaf from broccoli mixture before adding half to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Place the other half in a bowl and set aside.
- Step 5 In the same saucepan melt remainder of butter.
- Step 6 Blend in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Step 7 Add the milk slowly while stirring.
- Step 8 Cook and stir until the mixture is thickened and bubbling.
- Step 9 Stir in the remainder broccoli.
- Step 10 Serve in bowls and garnish with cheese.
- Step 11 Enjoy.