Have you heard about sheet pan dinners?
The thing about these is that they’re easy to make, have less cleanup, and can be done fast. I mean supa fast! Worth mentioning that I currently don’t have a dishwasher, so fewer dishes are tops with me too.
When I first saw these sheet pan creations I couldn’t believe the variety of dinners being done this way. It seems like the faster the meal prep the better because let’s be real… no one has time to slow roast anything unless it’s in a crockpot!
Emery whipped up a marinade that was smokey, slightly acidic, and flavorful. He used chipotle peppers, garlic, vinegar, plus cumin and honey.
We choose to use skirt steak. It’s a highly flavorful meat but needs a little love, otherwise, it can be tough if it’s overcooked, sliced incorrectly, or not rested before slicing. The marinade helped tenderize the meat and add some smokey fajita chipotle flavor.
On our sheet pan we placed the steak on one side, and the veggies on the other, instead of plopping it all down in the center of the pan. It worked out well for us since we flipped the steak halfway during cooking, as well as the veggies.
While dinner was in the oven Emery brought out some of his pickled veggies, salsa, fresh cilantro, and tortillas. The only thing we forgot at the store was extra limes. Fresh lime juice would have been killer on these.
All in all I think dinner took 20 mins. Pretty fast, no?
Now about cooking up that skirt steak…
- Don’t overcook, otherwise, it’ll be like leather. It’s a thin cut so ideally it should be cooked to medium.
- Let the steak rest and hang out on the plate for a few minutes.
- Slice on a bias. Look at that direction of the meat grain then slice opposite at a 45-60 degree angle.
Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- 1 7oz can of Chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 4 large cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 pound Skirt Steak ( We used the inside cut)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2-3 bell peppers, sliced
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- Step 1 Mix the first 10 ingredients together to make the marinade. Place the skirt steak in a large bowl or ziploc bag for at least an 1/2 hour with the marinade.
- Step 2 Meanwhile cut up veggies, and line the sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Step 3 Raise the rack in the oven to the highest position, and turn the oven onto broil.
- Step 4 Toss the peppers and onions with a little bit of oil, sprinkle with garlic salt, and black pepper. Place the veggies on the sheet pan.
- Step 5 Remove the skirt steak from the marinade, and place it on the sheet pan.
- Step 6 Broil for about 4-6 minutes on each side. Halfway through cooking, flip over veggies.
- Step 7 Remove from the oven and let the steak rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Step 8 Serve with desired toppings.