Comfort food has been my middle name lately.
It’s getting cooler outside, and my inner me is yelling for dishes that are rich, heartwarming, and filling.
Topped with rosemary cheddar biscuits this chicken pot pie is truly decadent and over the top.
Since Emery and I work on this blog together it’s been interesting to see how our recipes are coming together. I had expressed that I wanted to make this, and that night I ran out to see my parents. When I got home he had just pulled this out of the oven. The house smelled wonderful, and dinner was waiting for me to join.
The pot pie filling has chunks of chicken, peas, and carrots. It’s simple and classic.
Plus the biscuits baked perfectly on top. They were a nice golden brown with a tender center and a crusty top.
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb Chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon season salt
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup milk (optional)
- Black pepper to taste
- Step 1 Melt butter and saute the ribs, carrots, and onion on medium heat till soft.
- Step 2 Add the chicken, season salt, flour sprinkled over, and bay leaf. Cook until chicken is done.
- Step 3 Add chicken stock, and simmer to thicken.
- Step 4 Once thickened remove the bay leaf, then add peas, milk, and season with black pepper.
- Step 5 Keep on low while you make the biscuits. ** Keep in mind that the filling must be simmering when it goes into the oven or the biscuit won’t cook properly.
Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Step 3 Cut in the shortening.
- Step 4 Add the buttermilk, rosemary, and cheese. Mix well.
- Step 5 Pour dough out onto a well-floured surface.
- Step 6 Roll out to 1/2 to 1 inch thick, and cut into biscuits.
- Step 7 Add biscuit dough onto simmering chicken pot pie filling, and place in the oven.
- Step 8 Bake for 30 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Step 9 Enjoy