Don’t you just love those little crunchy morsels of potatoes all mixed up and formed into a tot?
I took those cute little chunks and made them into a triple-layered bacon cheeseburger casserole. Yep, I said triple layer, as in three!
In between each layer is my tater tot version of a lasagna.
Stay with me for a minute…
We’re swapping out noodles for tots.
Ground beef for ground pork or beef.
Mushroom soup instead of tomato sauce
Bacon instead of ricotta.
Cheddar instead of mozzarella.
Okay, it’s nothing like a lasagna except for the layering part, cheese, and they both have ground meat in it.
So, if you’re feeling a little decadent and want to transform those delicious tater tots into something all it’s own, then I suggest this bacon cheeseburger version.
** This video was one I sent Emery while he was at work. I couldn’t wait to show him how crunchy the top was. 🙂 **
Triple Layered Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 large bag of tater tots ( I used 30 oz bag of tater crowns)
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1/2 cup of onions, diced
- 1/2 cup of green onions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt & black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1-1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 Brown the ground beef and drain the fat.
- Step 3 Return ground beef to the pan and add onions and green pepper. Saute for a few minutes or until vegetables become soft.
- Step 4 In a large bowl mix the mushroom soup and milk together, and set aside.
- Step 5 Lightly grease a 2 qt baking dish and place the first layer of tater tots on the bottom evenly,
- Step 6 Spoon 1/2 of the ground beef mixture, mushroom soup mixture, bacon, and cheese on top of the tater tots. Repeat on the second layer. Top second layer of ingredients with the final layer of tater tots.
- Step 7 Cover, and bake for 45 minutes. Then, bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until top is a golden brown.