Most diets all encourage lean protein and vegetables, especially protein first thing in the morning to kick start your day. Well do I have the perfect thing us for breakfast!
Let’s have a quiche party! A meatless vegetable filled wonderful diet friendly quiche party!
So when I think of quiche I think of two things. My bestie and spinach.
Many moons ago my bestie, Stacy and I used to be roommates. We actually didn’t know each other before living together. Another girl in the house worked with me, and told me they were looking for another roommate. The time worked out perfectly for me, so I moved in. She an I became friends instantly.
A few years ago while on the phone she was really excited about her newest cooking experiment gone right. Quiche. I mean she was quiching it up left and right. Ham, veggies, cheese… you name it. Ever since then whenever I think about quiche I think of her.
When this lovely dish came to life I was actually thinking about food. I was hungry, I wanted to keep it light, and eat something that was a good source of protein, diet friendly, and was low carbs. I saw the spinach and eggs and next thing I know… a quiche was born.
Plus for all you weight watcher’s people out there this is less than 1 point a serving and 5 points for the whole pie plate. So eat the whole plate. There’s no judging here. lol.
High protein start to your morning or brunch. WW = 5 points for the whole pie plate. less than 1 point per serving.
- 4 egg whites
- 4 eggs
- 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped or julienne sliced
- 1/2 red peppers, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- 1/16 (pinch) of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup or 2 oz of skim mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced thinly.
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 Saute mushrooms on a non-greased pan on high till browned. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Step 3 Spray pan with cooking spray and cook the peppers and onions until translucent over medium heat. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Step 4 Add the spinach to the same pan and remove once it’s wilted.
- Step 5 In a large bowl whisk together eggs, add nutmeg, salt, and black pepper.
- Step 6 Lightly spray pie pan or quiche pan with cooking spray.
- Step 7 Add vegetables to the pan layering with cheese and eggs till all ingredients have been used or pie pan is full.
- Step 8 Place in the oven uncovered and cook for 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool before serving.
- Step 9 Enjoy!