And we’re back with more vegetables. Yippeeee…
It’s been super cold here lately. It’s been so cold that some nice hot vegetable soup with spicy harissa turkey meatballs are perfect actually. Emery made this for us. I’m not even going to lie and try to take credit for this, although I wish I could. I’m serious when I say this is in my top five of favorite soups. It’s a little spicy, meaty, and warms me from the inside out.
So what happened was… Emery made a trip to Trader Joe’s grocery store and came home with a jar of harissa paste. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s in your area let me tell you all about it. It’s an organic grocery store that offers an eclectic array of groceries, including locally sourced produce at a great price within a smaller sized space. All of the shelves have been utilized to the max. We haven’t bought anything there that we didn’t love. This harissa is no exception.
While harissa recipes can vary depending on it’s country of origin I prefer the one from Tunisia, but there are other versions that have slightly different ingredients. Most recipes include red peppers, spices, garlic, and herbs, but depending on where it’s made it can have additions of cumin, lemon juice, and coriander. It’s delicious eaten with most meats, including fish and has a rich flavor that can be added to stews and soups like we did here.
Plus in case you weren’t the wiser we’ve mentioned Weight Watchers in our last post because it works. Not to sound like a commercial, but it does offer a huge variety of foods to eat, and with some creativity none of this is really “diet food” it’s just food. I like how the program focuses on balancing our diets like we need to balance our lives.
Wow, that sounded it little too like a quote from a self help book. Instead let me just move along and help myself to another giant bowl of this! Mmmm… by the way it’s a zero point soup too!
Vegetable Soup with Harissa Turkey Meatballs
- 32 oz Chicken Stock, fat-free
- 32 oz Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 cup Carrots, sliced thinly
- 4 Celery Ribs, chopped
- 1 Onion, lgarge chopped
- 10 cloves arlic, sliced
- 14 oz can Tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups Sweet peppers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbls Harissa paste (Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp caraway seed
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- garnish with green onions
- Step 1 In a large pot add both containers of stock and bring to a simmer.
- Step 2 Once simmering add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Simmer for about 10 minutes until they start to soften.
- Step 3 Meanwhile mix the turkey, harissa, fennel seed, caraway seed, and black pepper.
- Step 4 Bring soup to a boil, and form turkey mixture into small meatballs. Drop meatballs into soup, and cover.
- Step 5 Reduce heat to low, add sweet peppers, and cover. Allow to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Step 6 Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with green onions.